Minecraft: 6 Best Enchantments for Pickaxe (Ranked) (2024)

A pickaxe is perhaps the most important tool you will use in Minecraft. Pickaxes can act as offensive weapons, but their true value lies in harvesting. A good pickaxe needs to be sturdy, efficient, and fast, and while Netherite Pickaxe is definitely a valuable tool, it can be further improved upon if you use enchantments. Some of them are a waste of time, and some of them will transform your exploration efforts. Now, let’s see the best enchantments for a pickaxe in Minecraft.

Editor’s Note: This post has been updated in November 2023, to reflect the most up-to-date state of the game.

1. Efficiency saves time

Minecraft: 6 Best Enchantments for Pickaxe (Ranked) (1)

Efficiency is one enchantment associated with most tools in Minecraft. In the context of the pickaxe, it will allow you to mine blocks faster, saving you time. It goes up to level 5, and even though all levels are useful, you should strive for the highest level.

Efficiency is simply essential if you want to collect materials faster. In the same amount of time, you can collect vastly more ores, stones, and other materials. You will also move through the tunnels and dungeons faster without spending too much time lingering on a single block. You can acquire efficiency through enchanting tables (except stone or diamond pickaxes) or through combining two levels of enchantment on the Anvil.

2. Fortune gives you more resources

The second best enchantment that you can apply to your pickaxe is Fortune. Fortune gives you a better yield of materials no matter the tool that it’s applied to. Fortune I gives a 33% (1⁄3) chance to multiply drops by 2 (averaging 33% (1⁄3) increase), Fortune II gives a chance to multiply drops by 2 or 3 (25% (1⁄4) chance each, averaging 75% (3⁄4) increase), and Fortune III gives a chance to multiply drops by 2, 3, or 4 (20% (1⁄5) chance each, averaging 120% (11⁄5) increase).

Fortune is sadly incompatible with Silk Touch, but it can still be applied in tandem with Efficiency.

3. Unbreaking makes your pickaxe last longer

Minecraft: 6 Best Enchantments for Pickaxe (Ranked) (3)

What good is it if it is a fast tool if it breaks easily? I agree this is why Unbreaking is the third-best enchantment you can have on your pickaxe. Unbreaking increases the chances that your pickaxe won’t consume durability with each use. This means you can mine more blocks before the pickaxe needs repair, making it more efficient and cost-effective over time.

Repairing or crafting high-tier pickaxes can be resource-intensive, especially when using rare materials like diamonds. With Unbreaking, you reduce the frequency of repairs, saving resources in the long run. Pickaxe with Unbreaking will also effectively increase the duration of mining sessions because you won’t have to go to the surface as often for a new set of tools.

4. Mending makes your mining sessions longer

Mending constantly uses the experience points you collect while playing to repair the pickaxe. As you mine, kill mobs, or perform various actions that grant XP, Mending redirects those points to the pickaxe, keeping it in good condition without the need for manual repairs. Like Unbreaking, Mending has a variety of useful uses, such as durability preservation and extending mining sessions.

With Mending, you can use the pickaxe continuously without worrying about it breaking. Mending is, however, a treasure enchantment, meaning that you can only get it from jungle temple, stronghold, and ancient city chest loot, fishing, raid drops‌, or trading with a librarian of any level.

5. Silk Touch preserves the original block

Minecraft: 6 Best Enchantments for Pickaxe (Ranked) (4)

With Silk Touch, you can mine ores like diamonds, emeralds, Redstone, and other valuable resources without the need for Fortune. Instead of getting multiple drops, you collect the ore blocks directly, preserving their original form. It’s also ideal for collecting decorative blocks like glass, ice, or grass blocks.

Silk Touch is naturally an enchantment that is incompatible with Fortune.

RELATED:Minecraft: 4 Best Enchantments for Elytra Wings (Ranked)

6. Curse of Vanishing is no good at all

Curse of Vanishing is rarely considered useful because it causes the enchanted item to disappear when the player dies. For tools like pickaxes, which are valuable and often made with rare materials like diamonds, the Curse of Vanishing can be frustrating because it means you risk losing the pickaxe permanently if you die.

In most cases, players prefer to avoid this curse on tools and armor they invest time and resources in. So this is pretty much the most straightforward answer on why the Curse of Vanishing is the worst enchantment you can have on a picaxe.

Have something to add? Let us know in the comments below!

Minecraft: 6 Best Enchantments for Pickaxe (Ranked) (2024)


What is the highest efficiency pickaxe in Minecraft? ›

The maximum level for the Efficiency enchantment is Level 5.

How to get efficiency 5? ›

Obtaining. Tools of any material except stone or diamond can receive up to Efficiency V through the enchanting table. Stone and diamond tools can only receive up to level IV through the enchanting table, but can be given Efficiency V by combining 2 items with Efficiency IV in an anvil.

How to make a maxed out pickaxe? ›

Step 1: Find three diamonds and forge a diamond pick. Step 2: Find four Ancient Debris, smelt it into Netherite Scraps, and craft it together with four gold ingots to forge a Netherite Ingot. Step 3: Craft a Smithing Table and upgrade the diamond pick into a Netherite Pickaxe.

Is the silk touch pickaxe good? ›

Silk Touch - Conclusion

Silk Touch is a rare enchantment that can be incredibly useful in specific situations. It allows you to harvest certain blocks without breaking them into their normal form, which can be helpful if you want to move blocks or use them for decoration.

Is there an efficiency 5 pickaxe? ›

To get one level higher you need to add the same level enchantment. So an efficiency 4 pickaxe needs an efficiency 4 book on an anvil to get to efficiency 5.

Can netherite get efficiency 5? ›

[MC-263209] Efficiency V cannot be obtained from an enchanting table on netherite and gold tools - Jira.

Is there efficiency 6? ›

Efficiency VI can be found pre-applied to the Stonk pickaxe.

How many bookshelves for level 30? ›

You can make the enchantment table more powerful using bookshelves. Surrounding the table with bookshelves will give you access to higher enchantment levels, up to maximum level of 30. To reach level 30, you'll need 15 bookshelves total.

Is sharpness 5 a thing? ›

The maximum level for the Sharpness enchantment is Level 5. This means that you can enchant an item with up to Sharpness V.

How to get fortune 2 on pickaxe? ›

If you want to acquire Fortune on your tool of choice quickly and easily, the best way is to use an enchanting table or in-game commands. Easily getting Fortune in Minecraft: Gather as many experience levels as you can as well as a few stacks of lapis lazuli.

How to get fortune 3 in Minecraft? ›

Fortune III can be obtained through finding it in Bastion Remnants and Desert Temples, along with Jungle Temples and Rarely Nether Fortresses. The stronghold also has a slight chance of spawning a Fortune III enchantment book in a Stronghold Library Chest, but it'll most likely get sucked with another enchantment.

Why is Curse of Vanishing good? ›

Curse of Vanishing is compatible with the greatest number of different item types out of all the enchantments. Using Curse of Vanishing on your Lodestone Compass in PvP can be beneficial. This way, if you are killed, you won't drop the compass which reveals your base location.

Can fortune and silk touch go together? ›

Silk Touch is incompatible with Fortune. If commands are used to apply both Silk Touch and Fortune to an item, the Silk Touch enchantment takes precedence over the Fortune enchantment for blocks affected by both enchantments.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Velia Krajcik

Last Updated:

Views: 5904

Rating: 4.3 / 5 (74 voted)

Reviews: 89% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Velia Krajcik

Birthday: 1996-07-27

Address: 520 Balistreri Mount, South Armand, OR 60528

Phone: +466880739437

Job: Future Retail Associate

Hobby: Polo, Scouting, Worldbuilding, Cosplaying, Photography, Rowing, Nordic skating

Introduction: My name is Velia Krajcik, I am a handsome, clean, lucky, gleaming, magnificent, proud, glorious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.